Sunday, October 19, 2014

The first brick on the Yellow Brick Road

Think of India 15 yrs ago. Now take a step back into the past. Now one more. One more. That's where I live! Hello from Ubon Rachathani, Thailand. Granted, they have internet and all, but the attitudes...

Why am I in Ubon? I followed the ultimate travellers' dream, did my TEFL course in Koh Samui, had a great time and despite all my doubts about teaching, I thought I might be ready. The course and Samui are for another blog. But knowing that it's difficult for Indians to find teaching ESL jobs in Thailand, I took the first job I got.

This school has had teachers from India before, and when an Indian student from the TEFL school I studied at (who is working at the school) contacted the Course Director regarding openings, she put me in touch with her. I didn't get the job I initially applied for - at the international program, but the day I got back home, I got another offer from the school - for the Government program.

With all the excitement of getting the job so quickly, I didn't look any further and took it. It didn't take me 3 months, or even 1 and 1/2, like I was prepared for and now, suddenly, I was not completly prepared.

The school asked me to come early so we can get the paperwork done, but the holidays began and everything stretched out. The department head finally told me that they won't be able to get some papers and I'd be able to get only my contract before I went to Bangkok. However, one of the foreign teachers was really really helpful and pushed to get all the papers done. Between him and I finally managed to get all the documents get my visa changed to a "Non-B". Once that is done, we will need to apply for a work permit and then a teaching licence. From what I've heard so far, the school is very lazy with the paperwork.

The place I've found to stay at is very very basic - way more than I expected and is kind of depressing (I guess it'll get better once school starts). It's called a "mansion", but what that means is it's like one of those lodges with just a room, a bathroom and a space to hang up clothes. Unfortunately for me, the open space my room faces the back of a set of buildings and so I don't get any sunlight. (It was slightly cheaper though). It is also above large tanks of water and plumbing I can hear them all night long. The good thing is that nothing beats this place for location - just about 7 mins from school. I think what bothers me was that I am missing conveniences that I didn't even think of looking for when I looked at the place (how much we take for granted!) - like not having a flush on the toilet!! (I'm okay with the bucket, so this is okay) or hot water (this I really miss). But I'm sure I can work around it. Live and learn :-) Also not knowing the language is right now a big issue as I can't ask for anything or figure out what anything means. There are notices all over the apartment, the contract has times mentioned on them - and I don't know what any of it means.

The good thing is that my colleagues (all the foreign teachers I've met so far) have been really nice and helpful. They have been very kind and some have gone out of their way to help me - from getting a room, to ordering food, to buying groceries, figuring out how to get started on a lesson plan, to pushing for the paperwork. They have all also been through these issues and are very understanding. Apparently, once I get a hang of it, the lessons/teaching/school work is rather relaxed. I can't wait to get to that point :-) I'm really nervous to start with though. The school has decided not to use the usual books and think we should do something more relevant since I'm teaching M6 (12th std) - who will then go to university. I do have some books for reference though. I better get cracking on my homework and start off with the lesson plans when I have the time. School starts 20 Oct.

No comments: